"I AM A FUNCTION RESTORING, SKILL SUSTAINING, PATIENT TRAINING, FAMILY EDUCATION, LIFE IMPROVING, EMPOWERING OCCUPATIONAL THERAPIST."
April was chosen as Occupational Therapy Month in 1980 AD and since then, it has become an important date in the Occupational Therapy calendar to promote and celebrate this noble profession internationally.
Occupational therapists contribute this month to providing many community, therapeutic and advisory services within a variety of activities that enable you to:
• Participate in activities of daily living independently, safely, and adequately.
• Achieve goals, such as helping a person acquire the skills needed to live independently.
• Maintains the performance of the various functions of the body and mind.
• Maintain a healthy and productive life as much as possible.
• Develop your motor, mental, social and emotional skills.
“Occupational therapy continues to evolve beyond the confines of rehabilitation and occupation and activities of daily living are now recognized by the World Health Organization as a health-related human right. Occupational therapy positions are rich in diverse cultures, knowledge and connection with humanity by engaging in occupations of value and meaning to individuals and societies.”
We, occupational therapists, are a large community globally. Imagine what we can do! As occupational therapists, we must use the power of the job to give us the confidence to change the world for a better one!
Our call to action is for all occupational therapists in the Arab world to support our great profession by promoting societal awareness throughout our beloved Arab homeland.
Very truly yours,
Dr. Hassan I. Sarsak (PhD, OT)